School – Parent Compact Excelsior Elementary
It is important that families and schools work together to help students achieve high academic standards. Through a process that includes teachers, families, students, and community representatives, the following are agreed upon roles and responsibilities that we, as partners, will carry out to support student success in school.
Excelsior Elementary and parents agree that this compact outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership, that will help children achieve the State’s high standards.
We, the school staff, will provide high-quality curriculum and instruction, support children’s learning and agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of our ability:
- Understand the importance of ongoing communication between parents and the school through, at a minimum, annual conferences, reports on student progress, access to staff, and opportunities to volunteer and participate in and observe the educational program.
- Make sure all students get help as soon as it’s needed.
- Explain our approach to teaching, expectations, and grading system to students and their families.
- Receive training and work on our teaching programs and instructional strategies so that we can successfully teach all children.
- Make sure students understand the assignments, what they'll learn from it, and grade it in a timely manner.
- Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction.
- Provide meaningful, daily homework assignments to reinforce and extend learning.
- Actively participate in collaborative decision-making and consistently work with families and school colleagues to make the school a safe, accessible and welcoming place for families, helping each student achieve the school’s high academic standards.
- Accept and ask for parent involvement in addressing student challenges.
We, as parents, will support our child’s learning and agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of our abilities:
- Ensure that my child attends school every day, gets adequate sleep, regular medical attention, and proper nutrition.
- Make sure all homework is completed.
- Volunteer at my child’s school.
- Promote positive use of my child’s extracurricular time.
- Stay informed about my child’s education and communicate with the school by promptly reading all notices from the school or the district, either received by my child, by mail, or through the school website, and responding, as appropriate.
- Support the school’s discipline and dress code.
- Make every effort to attend school events, such as Parent-Teacher Conferences, Open House, and Back-To-School Night.
- Participate in parent, teacher, and/or counselor meetings.
- Contact the attendance office to report absences by 9:00 am.
- Set high expectations for my child.
- Know my child’s grade level, teacher name, and classroom number.
- Know and encourage my child to follow school and classroom rules.
I, as a student, will take responsibility for my learning & agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of my ability:
- Write down assignments, do my homework every day, turn it in when it’s due, and ask for help when I need assistance.
- Give all notices and information received by me from my school every day to my parents or the adult who is responsible for my welfare.
- Let my teacher and family know if I need help.
- Know and follow school and classroom rules.
- Come to class on time, prepared with necessary materials, ready to learn, and with assignments completed.
- Follow the school’s dress code.
- Limit my TV watching, telephone/cell phone usage, computer/internet time and instead, study or read every day after school.
- Avoid bringing personal items that are not school-related.
English | Spanish | Vietnamese